Northey Street City Farm….. a place for learning about living sustainably in the city
Position: Farming Manager
Hours: 24 hours per week
Pay rate: NSCF Award Agreement Manager Level, $24.80 per hour excluding entitlements
Contract Position: Permanent part time
Responsible to: Management Committee
The Farming Manager should have a proven strong background in practical Permaculture and organic fruit and vegetable farming (sub tropics), preferably having previously managed a team of people to develop a commercial market garden or orchards. They should have demonstrable experience in both managing day-to-day farm operations as well as driving medium-term strategic and commercial directions.
Established in 1994, Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) is a non-profit community organisation for people of all ages and backgrounds to learn the principles of Permaculture through hands-on experience. Join an enthusiastic, passionate group of people to work on one of Australia’s largest city farms; a certified Organic Permaculture site on 6 acres, established kitchen and market gardens as well as orchards and wood lot, plus Brisbane’s only Organic Sunday Markets. NSCF is also a community hub that facilitates the development of social connections and new skills for volunteers and participants in a variety of programs. Use your skills and experience to help us develop this fantastic resource.
- 24 hrs/wk (which must include Tuesdays and Thursdays) a minimum of 4 days a week.
- Remainder of hours per week are flexible according to season and weather conditions.
- Planning, scheduling and managing food production, management and maintenance of all gardens to increase productivity of the land using Permaculture principles and practises
- Manage staff and volunteers within the Farming team
- Contribute technical expertise and support other teams as needed
- Develop the Farm to enhance its reputation as a resilient community asset
- Manage all farm zones according to Permaculture and Organic principles
- Maintain organic certification of the farm, including developing an organic management plan
and farm operating procedures
- Organise and facilitate farming team meetings
- Develop and implement schedules for harvesting and the preservation of surpluses
- Record and document seasonal planning, planting and harvesting information
- Manage the integration of food production and provisioning activities to meet the
requirements of the kitchen for community lunches, and the market produce stall
- Work with the Nursery to maintain the seed saving strategy
- Manage the green waste and composting systems
- Coordinate animal management
- On-the-ground management of staff
- Direct and supervise farming related project and grant funded staff and volunteers
- Provide activities for volunteers, community service and other program participants to be
engaged in as one part of the overall volunteer program at NSCF
- Assist in maintaining farming tools and workshop
- Contribute to the development, enactment and review of key policy documents to guide activities on the Farm
- Coordinate, manage and develop farming enterprises, e.g. the NSCF Market stall, nursery, and allotments
- Participate in fortnightly Team Reps meetings
- Monthly reports to the Management Committee
- Prepare and manage budgets and be accountable for any team related cash handling systems
● Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC) and extensive Permaculture experience
● Demonstrated experience in certified Organic farming in the sub-tropics
● High level farm management experience in a diverse, integrated farming context
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to lead and facilitate
● Ability to work within an interdependent team structure
● Ability to prepare and manage budgets
● People management skills including conflict resolution and team-building
● Willingness to have a criminal background check
● Hold a current first aid certificate or be willing to acquire one
● Advanced Permaculture design and implementation skills and training
● Experience working in community or volunteer organisations
● Project management skills
● Skills in using, maintaining and repairing tools and infrastructure
● Skills and experience in WH&S practices.
Applications must address each of the selection criteria (maximum 100 words each)
Please also include a CV with at least two referees
Applications are due close of business Tuesday 11 December, 2012.
Proposed start date is 7 January 2013.
For further information, please contact the Farm on 3857 8775
Please submit application electronically to: info [at] nscf.org.au
Hard copies may be sent to: Northey Street City Farm, 16 Victoria St, Windsor, 4030
NSCF Mission Statement
We are a dynamic, creative and diverse city farm based on mutuality, innovation and environmental sustainability.
We aim to create a working model of a cooperative, community based, urban Permaculture farm which demonstrates, promotes, educates, celebrates and advocates for environmental and economic sustainability in a healthy, diverse and supportive community.
Phone: (07) 3857 8775 Fax: (07) 3857 8108 Email: info [at] nscf.org.au